Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Out On The Snow


Despite all their fancy schmancy advances, nothing compares to the craftmanship (not to mention the functionality) of a pair of handmade traditional snowshoes. Pictured are my babies - an extraordinary pair of Ojibway style snowhoes, which are in themselves a work of art.

By no means am I an expert on all things snowshoe related; but, I do have over 20 years experience and have at least tried most styles. I recieved my first pair as a Christmas gift when I was 16 (so for those of you doing the math that makes me approximately late 20's, nudge nudge, wink wink); they are a huge pair of Alaskan style shoes roughly six feet long (the stereotypical enlarged tennis racquet design). But I'd have to say, of all my snowshoes (and I'll just say that I've more snowshoes than shoes), based on functionality alone (at least on dry Manitoba snow), my Ojibway style shoes are my favourites.

Later

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I love this one. The thing is, I don't really know why. It's just beautiful.